Thursday, February 13, 2014

Catching up

Feb 11, 2014

OK so this is a catching a up post, it has been an eventful 3 day since we left on Tuesday.
We had planed to leave Wednesday, but when we saw the snow being predicted for Wednesday and Thursday we decided to leave a day early.  Ed started making calls to the hotels in Savannah and Ft Lauderdale, and we were soooooo lucky that we could get the reservations moved around and extended.
We left the house at 6:45 and we were on the ferry at 7, started our trip about 7:30.  It was a good thing we did as this is what we ran into on our way.

Ed did a great job driving thru really difficult conditions, but we all know it got worse, and we made it thru by the skin of our teeth.  But again we were lucky as Hertz, gave us a big Ford Explore, when Ed changed our car reservations, and it performed very well in these conditions.   After we drove about 40 miles south of  Florence SC it started to rain and sleet, but that was better then what we drove thru.

We arrived Savannah, about four, with a big sigh of relief.  They had our room ready, and we went up, only to discover that a cat had been there as I started having a bad reaction, so they moved us right away and all was well.

We were given a recomandation to go to Belford's for dinner right across Franklin Square, it was WONDERFUL, I highly recomend it.

Feb 12, 2014

We awoke, to rainy black skis and the news is saying it is going to get icie before long so we knew we best get out of Dodge ASAP!  We were on the road by 7:30 as we skipped breakfast once again, but we still had the banana bread that I made before leaving home, and the coffee in the room was good, so we put the coffee in our cups and off we went.  It rained all the way to the Florida border, where we finely stopped to get a map (for a future trip planning) and some go OJ, and use facilities for our trip south, we even had to break out the sunglasses, yah Florida you are the sunshine state.

We had a fast and uneventful trip to FLL we did stop for a big late breakfast (country fried stake and eggs )around Palm Coast at the Cracker Barrel, got gas and headed south.  We arrived to the Sheraton Beach Hotel about 3:45, checked in and Ed went and turned in the car, so we didn't have to pay the hefty price we had for the trip.  They gave us back the car for one day and a greatly reduced rate, and we will turn it in today before four, but we have a quick run to the drugstore to make first.

So now we are meeting Ed's nephew Kieran, and family for dinner tonight so I think you are all caught up.

1 comment:

  1. So glad you started out early! We were really worried for a while! Can't wait to see you!!!!!